Alfie Evans, 23-Month Old, Passes Away After Life-Support Removal

Alfie Evans, 23-Month Old, Passes Away After Life-Support Removal


Alfie Evans was born with a rare brain disease died after a long and gruesome series of legal battles which resulted in his life-support ending.


Alfie was in the middle of a huge legal battle between his parents and the courts. After being in a coma for over a year before his life-support was stopped after appeals and pleas to the judges and courts failed. Alfie passed away at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital after he was put on life-support in 2016.

Alfie’s parents took to Facebook to announce their sons passing, saying: “Our baby boy grew his wings tonight at 2:30 am. We are heartbroken.” After countless battles with the court in hopes of a ruling to keep their son alive and insisting that he wasn’t suffering in any way, the couple lost an appeal at the Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights.

His life support was eventually turned off on Monday evening on the 23rd of April.

The Parents

Alfie’s parents, Tom and Kate Evans, had been in a constant battle with the courts to overrule and keep their son alive. Tom Evans spoke publically about the rulings, arguing and bringing attention to the public of the situation concerning their son.

Pope Francis met with the couple, going to Twitter to say: “I am deeply moved by the death of little Alfie. Today i pray especially for his parents, as God the Father receives him into his tender embrace.”

The incident itself has caused incredible amounts of public outrage and campaigning for better treatment, with the hospital staff reportedly shocked after countless acts of abuse towards them. Tom and Kate have decided to fix the relationship between all those involved, including the medical employees in hopes of fixing everything related to Alfie’s passing.

Alder Hey children’s hospital posted a statement on their website saying: “All of us feel deeply for Alfie, Kate, Tom and his whole family and our thoughts are with them. This has been a devastating journey for them and we would ask that their privacy and the privacy of staff at Alder Hey is respected.”